What is it that you hope to explore during your residency?
We are exploring the protocols, languages, and material of the internet as a place for experimentation and practice. The exploration is based on composing multiple histories of the internet into a collective resyndicatable digital garden to weave the examples, narratives, and ideas together as a contribution to the Field Guide to the Digital Real. We are interested in how this garden can serve as a site for [micro] world-making as we repurpose the existing internet through our practice.
Can you provide a great, existing example (that we can share with audiences who may be unfamiliar with this line of thinking/work)?
- https://github.com/ournetworks: the conference Dawn, Garry, and friends, have been organizing. We’ve had great talks/workshops/happenings that weave network protocols and materially. Our GitHub org is where we organize openly
- https://handbook.hypha.coop/: Hypha’s (living) handbook that gives a sense of how we work and operate through online spaces
- https://pmvabf.org/: Printed Matter’s Virtual Art Book Fair. We think their shift to virtual this year was really neat to experience. They had a lot of support from folks and created an experience that feels unique and “of-the-net” instead of directly replicating the in-person event. We were also are thinking about https://www.anarchistbookfair.ca/tablers-2020/
- http://designforthe.net/workshops/ascii/: A workshop Mindy Seu hosted as part of A-B-Z-TXT. Pulling together concrete poetry and typewriter art, to create imaginary internet dwellings
- http://contemporary-home-computing.org/turing-complete-user/: Essay from Olia Lialina expanding on the concept of General Purpose Users
- Community Memory
- World in 24 Hours